This February, Lift Your Voice and celebrate empowerment through the arts at Art & Soul: A Celebration of African American Art & Artists in Indiana.
The Arts Council of Indianapolis and program partners Asante Children’s Theatre, Indy Jazz Fest, Kenyettá Dance Company, and Madame Walker Theatre Center have created a dynamic Art & Soul scheduled for the Indianapolis Artsgarden January 28 – February 25, 2017.
In its 21st year, Art & Soul is a highly anticipated Black History Month tradition and features central Indiana African American artists in a month-long series of free programs from featured artists including Native Sun, Krash Krew Dance, and Bashiri Asad.
Not to be missed is the Kickoff Celebration set for Saturday, January 28 at 12:15 pm. The celebration will lift every voice, set the stage for the month-long celebration, and feature Arts Council Board member and sportscaster Michael Grady as emcee.
The kickoff event will also include:
- a procession of African drumming by Griot Drum Ensemble
- the singing of the Black National Anthem
- a jazz tribute to President Obama
- an inspirational dance performance by Krash Krew Dance
- engaging activities by local arts and cultural organizations
- an art exhibition by Featured Artist Tiffany Marie Parker
- Featured Artists Carrington Clinton (Music), Devon Ginn (Literary/Theatre), Taylar Green (Dance), and Tiffany Marie Parker (Visual) will be introduced and highlighted throughout the month.
Interested in attending Art & Soul? Here are 5 reasons to join the celebration.
- The January 28 Kickoff Celebrationwill feature an all-star line up of Indy’s established and emerging African American artists.
- Have you met Devon, Tiffany, Carrington, and Taylar? They are this year’s Art & Soul Featured Artists. Catch a glimpse of their talent before seeing them at the Artsgarden: https://vimeo.com/200404145
- Now more than ever, we need to lift every voice. Join the conversation and tell us how you lift your voice. #ArtSoul
- Art & Soulis local! Come and support your city’s artists and connect with local talent.
- Because you need to embrace your lunch break! Grab your lunch and get away from your desk. This is going to be an amazing month and you simply do not want to miss out!
Art & Soul 2017 at the Indianapolis Artsgarden
Located above the intersection of Washington and Illinois Streets. Events are free and open to the public. Events start at 12:15 pm. The Arts Council of Indianapolis fosters meaningful engagement in the arts by nurturing a culture where artists and arts organizations thrive. Learn more about The Arts Council of Indianapolis.